Saturday, July 4, 2009

Red Lentil and Tomato Soup

I didn't get to making soup last week, the planets weren't aligned, or I just couldn't be bothered, or something.

For the last few weeks I've been salivating at the thought of the Chicken Noodle Soup in the Good Living a few weeks ago. I was planning to make it last weekend, but the weather has taken a definite turner for the worse, and it didn't seem quite right for the bitter cold we are experiencing. So this week I turned to a recent Sanitarium recipe from the Sunday paper. Red Lentil and Tomato Soup. It's a workable soup, ok, not fantastic I thought, and not one that will make it into my regulars. Still nice for a change.

Of course, as usual I can't help myself but to tinker at the edges of the recipe. It didn't look particularly red in the early stages of cooking so I added a sachet of tomato paste to help it along. And I just discovered we have a whole stack of feta (High Valley Tomato Feta from a recent trip to Mudgee) that needs to be used up in the next week, so I put some feta on top. Of course you can't eat soup without bread, this weeks bread was some we hadn't tried before- Pane Toscano Panini from Coles. A big hit with the junior bread critic. "Can we have these every time?"

My effort




The food styled version


No comments:

Post a Comment